Thursday, August 7, 2008

Gardening Sentiments

Writen by Debbie Jensen

As every season passes, I am so thankful to still be here as if life will never end. Today, as we experience the first day in the Fall and embrace the ol' world charm and beauty of it, I write my heartfelt expressions about it.

I love this time of year when the fields are ripe for the pickings and the harvest is good. Here in northern California, the ground is dry and exhausted. In my area, people flock to the apple orchards in Apple Hill, California and visit the local crafters, eat fresh apple pies and pastries, get our feet dirty, and mosey around.

The blistering heat of 100°-105° is behind us which only makes the cooler Fall weather so sweet and enchanting. I love to garden, but by the time Fall comes around each year, I'm ready to let it go for the winter. For most of the year, however, I feel like nurturing my plants and fortifying the ecosystem in my backyard. I love to see the different species of vegetation, birds, flying insects, and earthworms cohabit together. I especially love the nesting birds in my backyard and lay out cut-up yarn for their nests. I love to see the birds bathe in my bird baths filled with fresh water. It's even fun to watch them eat from my strawberry patch.

In fact, I love the cute little birds so much that I paint huge, bigger than life paintings of them. No doubt about it, my garden experiences have influenced on my artistic expressions. Love for life and enjoying all the wholesome activities life has to offer is an artist's ultimate resource. Just as when we speak from the heart, true feelings come out when artists draw from our own personal experiences. Really, once you find the connection between art and our personal experiences, good things happen artistically. (Revised 2/16/2006)

Debbie Jensen, Graphic Designer and Photographer http://www.debjensendesigns.com

0 comments: