Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Mow A Better Lawn The Easy Way

Writen by Denton Lesslie

I was schooled, as many of you were, about mowing lawns, that each time you mow the lawn the next time you rotate 90 degrees. If you are extra anal you go for the 45 degree rotation. I was never that anal so I just cut on the 90 and things went well. The people that "schooled me" said that it would make groves in my yard where I ran the mover. And, I believed it. Until I moved into my new house, and I followed suit and started my 90 degree rotation. Well we live on a slope becase of 1. the view and 2. the water drainage problem we had in out previous home (that is another story.)

I mowed the lawn three times. Twice up and down and once side to side. It was amazing how much easier going across the slope, than going up and down. I spent the rest of the summer going across the slope. Along with the proper fertilization and watering. I kept the blade on the mover sharp and What a Beautiful Lawn. The kids had a ball barefoot and happy.

I am a proponent of push mowers. I think that they mow a better lawn and provide and provide a chance to get the blood flowing in between exercise sessions. Working behind a computer as much as I do, that is much needed. I also feel that they give you more control of the mower than a riding mowers. Not to mention that they are safer. It also really hacks me off to see some one terribly over weight mowing a 1/4 acre lot with a riding mower. That is ridiculous! Anyway off my soap box.

After I am done, if there is any "clumps" I take the leaf blower and disapate them into the grass. I hate to say it but the more regularly that you mow the less clumps you will have. Blah, Blah, Blah!

All and all a beautiful lawn is not that difficult. Just some ideas to help you save some energy for other projects. Just thinking of you.

Just a few options.

Denton Lesslie is the president of http://www.greathomeimprovements.com and a consultant for Department of Energy's Building America Division for the last 6 years. There are many articles about your garage.

0 comments: