Friday, September 19, 2008

A Garden Without Digging A Joke Right

Writen by Kevin Cundick

When I first heard of the "No Dig" gardening method, I must admit I was quite skeptical. I couldn't understand how you could possibly have a successful garden without tilling, digging, hoeing, then planting. All of which is quite a bit of work. I certainly don't mind hard work, because often times things feel much more rewarding if you have to work hard to accomplish your goal. Keeping this mind however, I found that my schedule, between work, coaching baseball, football, etc. with my boys that I just didn't have a lot of time to devote to a garden.

So, I thought what the heck, lets give it a shot and see how it works out. I soon learned that just because you don't have to dig, doesn't mean you don't have to work. But the time involved is considerably less. You still get your home grown vegetables easier and quicker this way.

First, locate the spot you would like to have you garden. If grass is located it where you would you like your garden to be, at the very least, mow it down before you begin. Then get a bunch of newspapers and lay them down covering the entire area you want your garden to cover. If this seems strange, I thought so at first as well. However, the newspaper does biodegrade over time providing some additional nutrients to your plants. Plus, it helps to keeps the weeds down.

Second, lay organic materials on top of the newspaper. This can be compost that you buy at the store, or homegrown compost or whatever you decide. I used grass clippings, leaves, normal dirt and some manure. I cover the newspaper to about 12 inches knowing that as the leaves and grass clippings etc. composted, the depth would decrease. I was hoping to have it be about six inches when all was said and done. I wasn't far off. You decide how much organic material would work best for you. This method did work for me.

Third, plant your vegetables. Continue regular watering maintenance and weeding (though much less than usual) and watch as your garden comes to life.

Is the "No Dig" garden the perfect garden? I would say no. But what is perfect? Everything has its pros and cons. For instance, some of the cons of the "No Dig" garden are:

• Requires more planning up front.

• The soil can be very "loose" and tall plant may fall over or require additional support to keep them from falling over.

• Predators such as mice and birds can disturb your garden and go after seeds etc.

• If planted early in the Spring, it can be more susceptible to frost.

Despite all of this however, the "No Dig" garden can be perfect for you if you are unable to dig due to time constraints or just you're just physically unable to dig a garden.

If you're unsure about the "No Dig" garden method, try planting part of your garden this way then do the rest using a different method. See how each turns out.

Kevin Cundick is been working in a home grown garden since he was very young. He publishes the experiences he's had with his own gardens. He also runs the Best Guide to Gardening website where you can discover the most amazing information for gardening.

medical health hospital

0 comments: